BIE - Loan For Service
CLOSED for the AY 2015-2016: Graduate level educational loan awarded to United States Federally-recognized American Indian and Alaska Native community members (students) pursuing graduate or professional level education. To be considered, applicants must possess a minimum 3.0 GPA and be pursuing a master, doctorate or professional degree as a full-time student at an accredited graduate or professional school in the United States. Loan for Service recipients must agree to relocate, if necessary, to obtain acceptable employment for the service payback agreement.
Note: All applicants are required to submit a Tribal Eligibility Certificate (TEC) and Financial Needs Form (FNF) which is always available at www.aigcs.org where you may also review the AIGC Online Application Instructions.
- $20,000 per academic year
- Supplemental Questions
- All applicants for the Loan for Service must demonstrate a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on the most recent transcript submitted. What is your most recent cumulative GPA?
- The AIGC BIE Loan for Service opportunity is primarily intended for individuals with a willingness and ability to accept employment with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Bureau of Indian Education, other federal agencies/positions primarily serving American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities, state or local government agencies/positions primarily serving AI/AN communities or tribal governments. Secondarily, AIGC BIE Loan for Service recipients MAY be approved for employment in non-government organizations (NGO), Community Based Organizations (CBO) or other organizations where the BIE Loan for Service Fellow will work primarily with or within American Indian Communities. The BIE Office of Higher Education holds the sole responsibility for approval of all aforementioned positions which must begin within six (6) months of graduation; therefore, it is imperative that recipients understand that they should seek a variety of positions prior to completing their graduate program. Most BIE position openings can be reviewed at www.usajobs.com. Selecting the “I agree” box below indicates to AIGC and the BIE that applicants and eventual recipients of the AIGC BIE Loan for Service agree to seek and accept employment in the primary foci areas of this award. Please note that in some cases it may require that a recipient RELOCATE to obtain suitable employment for this service related payback.
- In 500 words or less, please describe how your selected major will apply to the intent of the Loan for Service program (see previous question) as it applies to your personal committment to serve the American Indian and Alaska Native community.
- Please list up to four (4) leadership roles you have held in recent years
- Dates of leadership role
- Describe the activities associated with this leadership role
- Leadership role/position/title
- Name of organization
- Please list your four (4) most recent paid and unpaid employment positions
- Dates of employment
- Describe the duties of the position
- Name of organization
- Title of your position
- Please list up to four (4) community engagement opportunities in which you have recently engaged
- Dates of this community engagement
- Describe the activities in which you participated for this community engagement opportunity
- Name of Organization
- LfS: Please provide contact information for someone who can address questions regarding your academic strengths and abilities.
- LfS: Please provide contact information for someone who can address your community service and leadership history and potential.
- Show 3 more